William Mackin is a shareholder with the firm, and is co-chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Workout department. He is resident in the firm’s new Woodbury Office.
Mr. Mackin represents clients in all aspects of Chapter 7, 13 and 11 bankruptcy cases, having represented debtors, trustees, and secured and unsecured creditors. He has achieved a reputation as one of the most knowledgeable and effective consumer bankruptcy practitioners in Southern New Jersey, who also has substantial Chapter 11 and commercial bankruptcy knowledge and experience. As part of his representation of different constituencies in bankruptcy settings, Mr. Mackin has substantial transaction experience, having represented buyers and sellers in asset sales and sales completed pursuant to Chapter 11 plans. He has also been involved in numerous forms of litigation, including: prosecuting and defending preference actions, fraudulent conveyances, enforcement of parties’ rights under contracts and leases, state law causes of action, plan confirmation issues, requests for use of cash collateral, and requests to obtain post-petition financing.
Cases of Note
In re Cantwell, 336 B.R. 688 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2006) (adopting Till interest ruling in Chapter 11 context)
In re Brady, 361 B.R. 765 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2007) (representing Amicus party, NACBA) (Finding above-median chapter 13 debtor could propose plan of less than 60 months)
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 1988
Law Review, Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
Research Editor (1987-1988)
B.A., Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, 1983
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Advisory Committee
Chair, 2015 – 2017
Camden County Bar Association
Gloucester County Bar Association
NJ Bankruptcy Inn of Court (Master)
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (State Chair - Southern NJ)
District IV Ethics Committee (2007-Present)
Rutgers University Pro Bono Bankruptcy Project
Mediation Panelist - United States Bankruptcy Court District of New Jersey
- Equal Justice Award presented by Legal Services of New Jersey in 2006
- Rutgers-Camden School of Law Mary Philbrook Public Interest Award
- Stripping Without Discharge - It's Nothing Dirty, or is it? Presented at 2011 William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference (addressing continued vitality of chapter 20 lien stripping of wholly unsecured subordinate residential mortgages).
- Selected Ethical Considerations in Consumer Bankruptcy Retainer Agreements. Presented at the Camden County Bar Association February 2011 Ethics Seminar.
- Post-Petition Assets in Chapter 13 Cases. Presented at the 22nd Annual NACBA Convention, New York City, April 11, 2014.
- Unbundling and Limited Scope Representation. Presented at the 16th Annual New Jersey Bar Association William H. Gindin Bench-Bar Conference, May 9, 2014.
- William Gindin Bench Bar Conference Panelist
- NBI Bankruptcy Forum: What Judges, Law Clerks and Trustees Want you to Know
- NJICLE Panelist - Mortgage Foreclosure and Modification
- Camden County Bar Assoc. - Consumer Fraud and FDCPA Claims (Moderator/ Panelist)
- Camden County Bar Assoc. - Mortgage Foreclosure and Mediation (Moderator/ Panelist)
- NBI Bankruptcy Forum: Bankruptcy Means Test - Line-by-Line Workshop
- NACBA 2014 National Convention - Post Petition Assets in Chapter 13