Health law has been a major practice area since the Firm's inception. We have become recognized as a leader in this complex, heavily regulated domain.
We handle a wide array of health law matters, representing health care entities, including hospital systems, other licensed facilities and professional group practices, and individual health care professionals.
The Business of Medicine
We recognize that practicing medicine--delivering health care--is both a profession and a business. To assist clients on the business side:
- We structure, prepare, review, and negotiate
- Contracts for services and reimbursement, including managed care.
- Hospital-physician affiliation agreements.
- Business relationship contracts, including employment, independent contractor, shareholder, buy-sell, and operating agreements.
- Compensation arrangements, including productivity and incentive arrangements.
- Management/administrative service agreements.
- Practice merger agreements, joint venture agreements, and sale and purchase agreements.
- We counsel clients on third-party payer reimbursement issues.
- We represent health care providers in their disputes with third party payers, including carrier audits and claims of improper billing or overpayment.
Laws and Regulations
We counsel our health care clients on the myriad federal and state laws and regulations that affect them, including the Stark law (federal), New Jersey's Codey law, fraud and abuse laws, and false claims laws. We develop billing compliance programs and HIPAA compliance documents and agreements.
We counsel clients regarding professional licensing requirements, and represent them when problems arise.
Adept as we are, we also know that health law matters rarely exist in a vacuum; our health care clients benefit from our expertise in other areas. We collaborate with colleagues in our Corporate, Business and Finance Services group to help structure and form entities and prepare documents; our Tax Planning and Strategies group and Estate Planning and Administration group to analyze and advise on the tax consequences of various transactions; our Real Estate group when needs arise concerning physical plant and location decisions; and our Litigation group, if a dispute arises or it becomes necessary to protect or enforce the legal rights of our health care clients.