Tax Planning & Strategies
Federal and State Taxation: Business and Personal
The Firm's Tax Group offers significant expertise and experience in (1) corporate, partnership, and individual income tax matters and (2) transactional tax planning. Many of our attorneys hold advanced degrees in taxation and have backgrounds in finance and accounting.
We advise business clients, for example, on:
- Tax planning and problem solving for:
- New and existing small and medium-sized businesses.
- Tax-exempt organizations.
- Executive compensation (deferred compensation, qualified and non-qualified stock option plans, stock bonus plans, stock appreciation rights and profits interests plans).
- Employee benefits.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
We coordinate with our Corporate, Business and Finance group so that every business transaction is analyzed to consider the practical business considerations that drive the deal and the most tax-advantageous method of structuring and closing it.
Trust and Estate Planning
The Firm has a considerable estate planning and estate administration practice. The Tax Group works closely with our Estate Planning and Administration group to help our clients:
- Take maximum advantage of available exemptions and exclusions, via gifts, asset transfers, or trusts.
- Eliminate or minimize probate costs and estate tax liability.
Real Estate Transactions
Because of the Firm's vibrant real estate practice, our Real Estate group often calls on us to evaluate the tax consequences or provide tax planning for a particular transaction. Our real estate-related expertise includes:
- Like-kind (Section 1031) exchanges.
- The tax aspects and consequences of:
- Residential deals and purchases.
- Commercial sales and purchases.
- Real estate financing.
- Tax credit transactions, including the evolving world of energy credits and "Green" issues.
Tax Disputes, Controversies, and Litigation
If a client encounters a tax problem, we stand with the client all the way through--on both the civil and criminal sides--including:
- Counseling them on IRS audits.
- United States Grand Jury investigations.
- United States Tax Court and other federal court litigation.
Following the Firm's interdisciplinary approach to all of our client's matters, we consult and coordinate as appropriate with our Litigation group.